Carterton New Zealand - A little history

Carterton, originally known as Three Mile Bush, was established in 1857 to house the workers who built the road from Greytown (to the South) to Masterton (to the North).

Carterton was named after Charles Rooking Carter, a generous benefactor and ambassador to the town. Carter was involved in many projects such as helping to establish the first public school and building Black Bridge over the Waiohine River. He also gave money to establish a home for men who had come to the end of their working lives and had nowhere to live.

Carter's Reserve, one of the few remaining examples of lowland bush, was bequeathed to the public by Carter. He was also a great patron of the Carterton Library to which he donated generously over the years. It seems he thoroughly deserved to have the town named after him!

Note: Carter's Reserve is located just before the Gladstone Vineyard on the Carterton- Gladstone road.